Monday, July 9, 2012

Single Serving: Beach House - "Myth"

This column examines a song - old or new, neurotic or belligerent, classic or indie-tastic. It's got "the buzz", it gives eargasms and it's freakin' awesome.

Before this week, I knew just a few things about Beach House.  I knew that they hung out with Grizzly Bear and counted Jay-Z and Beyonce as fans.  I knew that they were critically acclaimed purveyors of ‘dream pop’ who often found themselves at the single digit end of Pitchfork year end lists.  I knew their albums were popular soundtracks for hipsters to pro-create to and that lead singer Victoria Legrand had been forever immortalised in the Tumblr-sphere.

Instagram by Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear
(via Brooklyn Vegan)
What I didn’t know was that they were actually a pretty phenomenal band. I’d been hearing this song sporadically on 2SER and thought it a pleasant, if unremarkable indie pop song. However, it wasn't until I procured a copy of the record and gave it my full attention in the car that I realised that Beach House were doing something rather special.  

 

The nostalgic, dreamy sound is carefully built with hypnotic keyboard arpeggios, reverb-laden guitar couplets and a steady, simple drum beat. The lyrics are ambiguous at best - "What comes after this momentary bliss / consequence of what you do to me".  It may refer to the confusion of a one night stand, a long term relationship or re-kindling of an old flame. However, it's her heartbreaking refrain of "help me to name it" that suggests she's yearning for some answers and emotional comfort.

The song comes to life with a beaming, anthemic chorus - strummed power chords, tumbling percussion and Legrand's soaring vocal. The second verse hears her perhaps coming to terms with the loss and giving some cautionary advice about false expectations: "Can't keep hanging on to all that's dead and gone / if you build yourself a myth, know just what to give".  A shimmering solo from guitarist Alex Scally echoes the beautiful simplicity of the vocal melody.  Just when you expect the chorus to kick back in, the song ends as simply as it started.  

I don't ever recall being this obsessed with one song - we're talking at least half a dozen listens every day for the past month (sorry Tim).  Maybe it's that dreamy wall of sound that seems to suit a sunny afternoon or a rainy evening equally well.  Maybe it's Legrand's  evocative and nostalgia-inducing voice. 

Maybe I just need to hear that chorus one more time. 


Beach House have just been announced for Falls Festival 2012/2013.  Here's a taste of how they might bring it live:


2 comments:

  1. Great post. So great, I hope to never hear you play this song again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments Mr Coriander Head.

    Unfortunately, as the review states, I may not be able to resist indulging in the dopamine-inducing exercise that is listening to this song.

    ReplyDelete