Sunday, May 6, 2012

Live Review: St Vincent @ Factory Theatre, 12 March 2012


Photo via fasterlouder.com.au


An open letter to Annie Clark (AKA St Vincent):

Dear Annie
I heard your band for the first time on a train in Europe when my mate Robbo made me listen to your second album Actor.  I really dug your cinematic pop sound laced with abrasive guitars and angelic vocals.  However, it wasn’t until i heard your latest LP, Strange Mercy, that I fully fell in love with your band.
(I may also have formed a crush on you at this point, but I don't believe this is the right forum for airing those intentions)


I saw you at the Factory Theatre in Marrickville recently.  The crowd included local indie babe Holly Throsby and a swathe of good-looking hipsters.  My girlfriend really loved your outfit, but i really only had eyes for your keyboardist’s Garfunkel-esque head of hair - truly glorious.
Good option opening the show with Surgeon, showing off your intricate finger picking skills before a face-melting solo to finish.  The blasting chorus of Cheerleader showcased the amazing sound and lighting that characterised the entire show.  Older cuts like Actor out of Work and Black Rainbow worked surprisingly well without the studio orchestration, with the distorted snarl of your guitar adding extra bite. 


I thought you looked a bit tired, perhaps due to the commute from Perth, but you engaged the crowd with genuine gratefulness and some humorous banter.  In particular, I enjoyed your reference to Mark Stewart's argument about the death of punk music as evidenced by the existence of the 'Sid Dishes' washing up brush (in the shape of the Sex Pistol's notoriously badass bass player, Sid Vicious).

The vicious robo-rock of Marrow and new track Krokodil got the crowd moving, especially when you invaded the mosh and appeared to engage in a one-man circle pit - a brave move!  Great to see the latter getting released for Record Store Day - the studio cut sounds great and hopefully a sign of future punk-sounding tunes.  The Party was a set highlight, stripped back to keyboard and your ethereal vocals.

Anyway, great to see you in Sydney please come back soon!  I hear you're making an album with David Byrne - bring him along if you can.

Warm wishes
Chenga

P.s. Great job on Jools - love the outfit!







No comments:

Post a Comment