Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Youtube Highlight: Wilco feat. Leslie Feist - "You and I" (Live on Letterman)

This column seeks out the best bits of the weird and wonderful world of internet videos.


After hearing news that both Wilco and Feist are to release new albums this year, I thought it appropriate to post a live video of the track they sung together from Wilco's self-titled album.

Visually, it's an indie fan's dream. Jeff Tweedy and his ruggedly handsome, shaggy-haired band construct a beautiful wall of sound effortlessly, exchanging glances and clearly enjoying playing together. Leslie Feist harmonises with Tweedy, air-drums and generally gets her cute on around the stage.

The psychologist in me says that the song refers to the importance of maintaining independence and sponteneity while in a relationship, and avoiding the potentially catastrophic effects of
enmeshment. Really, it's just a song about 2 people that love each other - not so much as to sacrifice themselves, but just to "make something that no-one else has".

I remember when i first heard this song - I called my girlfriend and played it to her down the line. I think it's a great blueprint for two people to live by, and i'm lucky enough to have a gal that agrees. Happy 5 years Xanth!





No comments:

Post a Comment