Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Single Serving: Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"

This column examines a song - old or new, neurotic or belligerent, classic or indie-tastic. It's got "the buzz", it gives eargasms and it's freakin' awesome.

I am guilty of neglecting Arcade Fire.

Funeral's joyous odes to childhood and death captivated me immediately and the anthemic sounds of Neon Bible cemented the band as one of my very favourites. Despite rave reviews, winning a Grammy Award and creating widespread confusion in the mainstream music media, I never really got around to listening to The Suburbs.

... until now. It’s been on my car stereo for a couple of weeks, but in particular, this song has not left my brain. Regine’s previous contributions have typically been energetic and joyous, and this is no exception, with a driving disco drumbeat, synth arpeggios and a killer key change. In contrast, the lyrics express a frustration with rat-racing suburbia, yearning for the comfort of darkness among the city lights.

Yet again, Win, Regine and their merry band produce a nostalgia-tinged anthem to both contemplate and to celebrate.


No comments:

Post a Comment