Thursday, March 24, 2016

Train Trip Album Reviews: 'Alligator' - The National

After a period of not listening to albums and a (very) long period of not blogging, this column is an attempt to re-ignite two old passions and curing commute-itis.  Please excuse any ramblings or grammatical errors - it's drafted from Ashfield to Liverpool and finalised from Liverpool to Ashfield.    

The National doesn’t seem like an obvious choice for headphone listening, but such treatment reveals their strengths - the intricate guitar interplay, the subtle piano textures and the cracks and inflections of Matt Berninger’s voice.  

While we’re on the topic, I don’t think anyone is arguing that Berninger’s voice is classic - not in the traditional sense anyway.  His baritone drawl is more character than classic technique and barely holds up live.  However, I don’t think many other voices could pull off lines like “Karen, can you pull up a chair, fuck me and pour me a drink?” or “I’m a birthday candle in a circle of black girls”.  Sometimes the lines are almost as bad as Coldplay lyrics (almost), but I feel that Berninger has big enough balls to pull them off (actually I think I stole this comparison from someone.  Yup, I did).  


The narratives he gives voice to are mysterious, intimate and completely alluring to me.  It feels like you’re listening in on a phone call, reading the draft of a memoir or eavesdropping on a conversation between old friends at the pub.  

The National are often accused of being a mopey, depressing band (much like one of my favourite other bands funnily enough).  Heck, they even called one of their albums ‘Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers”.  This is undeniable - most of the songs are shrouded in neuroticism, occasionally dipped in paranoia.  

There are the cathartic releases though.  ‘All The Wine’ feels like a victory anthem for an alcoholic’s night out - charming, confident and brimming with charm (for a limited time only).  ‘Mr November’ was used in one of Obama’s campaigns, and fittingly so - joyous, passionate and almost desperate conviction given full voice.  


They do feel like an American band to me.  That could be because of the overt references ("you know you have a permanent piece of my medium-sized American heart") or because of the sarcastic tone inherent in lines like that.  I feel like they are simultaneously paying tribute to and paying the shit out of America.  

If all the elements of the National were stuck in a house fire, the drumming might well be the thing I’d save.  




If i think about this band logically or try and explain them to someone else, they end up sounding like a boring band. - unconventional drumming, intertwining guitar arpeggios, ‘Into My Arms’ era Nick Cave vocals and tales of middle class quarter life crisis.  However, when I listen to them, it feels so comforting, so intimate - like I’m on the other end of the phone, or like Matt Berlinger’s just bought me another whiskey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment